Sunday, September 16, 2012

Grave of the Fireflies

This is by far the saddest animated movie I have ever seen and maybe one of the saddest period. Grave of the Fireflies begins with a prologue (epilogue?) stating, "September 21, 1945... that was the night I died." What follows is an evocative story detailing the life of Japanese civilians during WWII, specifically two young siblings who learn that love and imagination are two of the world's greatest values. 

The director, Isao Takahata, co-founded Studio Ghibli in 1985 with one of my all-time favorite directors Hayao Miyazaki. Each anime film I have seen (predominantly those by Miyazaki & Studio Ghibli) is unique and this one does not disappoint. Just be prepared to let your emotions roll

Before I watching this, I was surprised to see its 8.4 rating on IMDB. However, other Ghibli classics on the list include: Spirited Away (8.5), My Neighbor Totoro (8.2), Howl's Moving Castle (8.1), Castle in the Sky (8.1),the only other Miyazaki film I haven't seen on the IMDB Top 250, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (8.1), and the only anime film I haven't enjoyed, Princess Mononoke (8.4). Regardless, I HIGHLY recommend Spirited Away! So you should watch it. Now.

Other films I saw this week: Blood Diamond & We Need to Talk About Kevin (see my Quick Flicks review of Kevin here). Two great movies that equally deserve to be put on the Top 250 list.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Green Monster

Ingredients:
1 banana, cut into chunks (frozen or fresh)
1 cup chopped frozen pineapple
1 pear, coarsely chopped
1½ cups orange juice
2½ cups baby spinach leaves, rinsed and dried
1-2 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. ground flaxseed (optional)


Source: http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/05/02/green-monster-smoothies/

I made a rendition of this yesterday with spinach, V8 Splash, frozen strawberries & raspberries, honey, and ice. I'm excited to get a bag of flaxseed from home but regardless it was wonderful! DON'T BE SCARED BY PUTTING SPINACH IN THE DRINK. YOU WILL NOT TASTE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment