Sunday, September 9, 2012

Atonement: An Imagination Realized

I've seen Atonement before (seriously, if you haven't, it better be on your must-see list) but it's been about 5 years, so I don't exactly remember every detail. However, I did read the book this summer and was very excited to re-watch the film and compare! Even after these few years I still remember certain shots, which speaks volumes about the cinematography (OSCAR SNUB!): Cecelia's green silk dress, Robbie handing Briony the envelope through the wire fence and Briony in her later years. This has easily become one of the most beautifully shot films I have ever seen. There is also extreme depth to the film and the meaning of the title with respect to the framing of the story.

There are mixed reviews about the book and Ian McEwan's style in general, but if you love the film or have heard great things, then I would give the book a shot. He has such a unique style that contributes to the impeccable scenery and rhythm of the film, bringing descriptions and the small details to the forefront of reality. As I watched the film, I could relatively remember how many pages were used to describe certain events. For example, a minuscule task of filling a vase with flowers- a mere 3 seconds in the film- turns into multiple pages in the book. Don't let that scare you though! It makes your imagination very pointed and leaves no detail behind.

This week I also saw: A Story of Women (France), Lawless and Mean Girls. I know none of these are on the IMDB Top 250 but Atonement is worth many words and is highly recommended. Focus Features NEVER disappoints.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've been craving an orange creamsicle drink this week, so here it is!


Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
Serves 6
3 cups plain Greek yogurt
1 1/4 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup honey
zest from one orange
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups ice

No comments:

Post a Comment