Monday, August 26, 2013

Sundance: Day Three

[I know this is quite a delayed post; I just found it in my drafts folder. It may be a bit incomplete in terms of the day's agenda, but it is still telling of recent wide releases.]

Once we got to the cashier for Day Of tickets, I got a ticket to Touchy Feely later Saturday at noon and Breathe In for 8:30am Sunday morning (see Day 4 blog!). So thankfully I got an hour nap before the screening-- especially because I just had about 3-4 hours sleep...on a cold, tile floor.

I was extremely excited for Touchy Feely- I've kept an eye on Rosemary Dewitt ever since her role on United States of Tara. The director introduced the film and was extremely happy to be a part of Sundance US Dramatic Competition once again, especially because she is one of the eight women competing. Yet, I was disappointed by the film. Don't get me wrong, Lynn Shelton incorporated interesting techniques that illustrated Abby's internal conflict; microscopic rack focus shots of the skin show Abby's impending claustrophobia towards her massage patients. A later ecstacy-scapade also creates a surreal environment for the drugged characters. The supporting cast is impressive with Allison Janney topping the lot. Josh Pais' awkward Paul, a dentist who mysteriously gains healing powers to cure TMJ in his patients provides most of the comic relief (is it coincidence that all of the supporting casts' lives get better once Abby undergoes mental distress?). The main reason why I was disappointed with the film was by the short ending that really didn't explain the resolutions. Character's emotions and thoughts drive the narrative, yet the conclusion is so abrupt. Another highlight is Tomo Nakayama's "Horses" (found here) which he plays during the climax of the film. The song captures the delicacy of each character and his/her struggle to discover himself/herself. His voice is stunning, but his character reminds me of a similarly awkward Michael Cera from Juno.

I was excited to see Ellen (and get her autograph), Allison, Lynn, and Rosemary after the screening behind Eccles!!

The rest of my day can be summed up shortly with cinematic disappointment. After the screening I went to the Morningstar Farms restaurant with a newly made filmmaker friend. The restaurant is famous during the festival because they are serving FREE lunch & dinner: veggie burgers and veggie chili. Can't go wrong with free food! Then after lunch I went to wait in line for the premiere of Toy's House. I was 7th in line, with Nick Robinson's aunt and friends ahead of me (he's the lead in the film). I think I arrived around 4:15 and waited until 8:30, and after they let 6 people into the screening, I was the first person to not be given a ticket :'(  I was devastated, but for a happy ending, see Day 5... I really wanted to see Mud and Interior. Leather Bar. which were premiering at the same time, but since I HAD to try to get to the premiere of the film I was an extra for, I had to deal with only seeing 1 film today.

No comments:

Post a Comment